Fitness, Health and Wellness Musings, Tips and the occasional rant'n'rave about finding your excellence from an Athens 2004 Olympian.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Another Surfng lesson and windsurfing lessons on the way

Have had my head down and tail up for the last week after learning that my resignation period had been cut short from a month to two weeks: aaarrrgghgh! In the end I followed my Boss's advice - there was only so much I could do, and I had to be happy with that. So I finished up with Yachting NSW on Friday and now have all my own time to get my new business, SportSPeak, up and running as quickly as possible so that I don't starve to death.

I have a good feeling about this, and my way forward, but just having the feeling won't make it happen. For sure: it will make any hard days easier, knowing that I'm going the right way for me now, but there will have to be plenty of ACTION - will report back on this as the days go by.

So: Second surfing lesson report. My teacher and friend Kathy is happy with how I'm learning and of course I want to learn faster! Plenty of face-planting was the order of the day on Sunday, but it was another stunning day with perfect water temperature and just a gentle breeze - how bad could it be???? Besides, it's water and I LOVE playing in the water. Homework for this week is to practice getting up on my feet and making sure they land further forward on the board and that I'm rotated around more. I still haven't worked out whether I'm a natural or goofy footer but it's got to be a good thing that I can go either way, doesn't it?? I'm sure it will work itself out once I can stand on the board.

Added Bonus to Sunday's surfing lesson was that a 'new' contact, and as it turns out, someone from my past sailing life, Bevan McKanagh (hope I spelled his name properly!!!) was on the water on something as remote from the softie Mal that I was learning on as is possible. One of the coolest slickest boards I've seen - it was made of Carbon fibre and HOLLOW and about 6 feet long. Bevan is Glide Industries - importers of Bic Surfboards, kayaks and Sailboards...and hopefully my windsurfing teacher to be. After seeing me learning to surf on Sunday he may well have changed his mind, but he also knows I can sail pretty well as we were old Club mates when we were kids sailing our Flying Elevens at Manly 16's (yep, the club that's about to go bust because of the new state Govt thieving rules. Oooops! did I say THIEVING? I meant Taxation, surely. I think not! That Club has been a great community (and might I say Government) asset for so many years now. If the State govt enforces it's current ruling, that club will go under. BIG SHAME!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home