Fitness, Health and Wellness Musings, Tips and the occasional rant'n'rave about finding your excellence from an Athens 2004 Olympian.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Surfing Lesson at Manly

What a fantastic way to start the day! This morning I had my first surfing lesson at Manly Beach (South Steyne, if we're to be specific) with my good friend Kathy, who is considering starting a Learn to Surf business. The weather was beautiful - perfect temperature in the air and water - and the low tide whitewater had just the right amount of punch to let me get the very basics without scaring the heeby-geebies out of me.

I don't know much about surfing, but I do know about teaching and coaching, and she is a great teacher! Really clear and concise with her information and especially good at giving just the right amount of feedback.
In fact, the best thing she did was make me think about what I was doing and get the feedback from me. Granted, at 39 I'm officially an adult learner, but I use these techniques with all my learners (young and old) and I strongly encourage the coaches and instructors I mentor to do the same. It really helps people learn much better and gives them ownership of the process rather than just sitting back and being spoon fed.

By the end of my first hour I'd managed to catch a few waves and stand up on the board (if only for few seconds before I fell off) and I'm completely hooked! Can't wait for next week's lesson.!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home